The recent times of pandemic have taught us the importance of staying fit and maintaining a healthy physique. Home gym equipment has grown in popularity too, as people prefer working out in the safety of their homes.
As much as you need to stay in shape, it is also important to maintain the shape and health of the gym equipment. Be it at home or the gym, maintenance of equipment is an important aspect that needs attention.
Let us dive into some of the important points that will guide you to take care of your exercise equipment.
Importance of maintaining Gym Equipment
Since gym equipment is the most vital element that helps you to stay fit, their maintenance is of utmost importance. The following points will enumerate the importance of maintaining gym equipment.
- Ensures safety- When dumbbells and other gym tools and equipment are maintained regularly it ensures the safety of the user. If equipment is left without care and maintenance for a long time it may develop faults that will go unnoticed and can cause injury while using it.
- Saves additional cost- By keeping a maintenance schedule, you can fix any faults in the machine before it breaks down. Thus, you can also save huge expenditure by timely maintenance and upkeep of your home gym equipment.
- Lengthen the life of the equipment- Uninspected and unchecked equipment can become faulty and no longer be available for use. On the contrary, regular maintenance and care of equipment will lengthen the life as any problem with the machine will be resolved in the initial stage.
Tips on maintaining gym equipment:
Since cardio equipment and other gym equipment undergo wear and tear daily it is paramount to keep them in the best condition. Though there are no hard and fast rules for their maintenance some tips can help you to keep them in the most suitable condition.
- Opt for branded equipment- The most important thing is to purchase equipment from a trusted brand. Though their equipment including dumbbells, pull-up bars, etc. will be expensive you can rest assured about the high quality of such tools.
- Regular cleaning schedule- If you want your gym equipment and machines to last longer then you should provide them with much-deserved care and cleaning. Since gym equipment are used regularly they get loaded with sweat, dirt, etc. and the metal and upholstery bear all the burn.
Two important aspects need to be elaborated in respect of cleaning your home gym equipment.
- How often gym equipment should be cleaned?
As a standard practice, you should clean your equipment and machines after each use. While working out the oil and sweat from the body settles on the metal surfaces and upholstery which can cause erosion over time if not cleaned regularly.
You should also carry out a weekly cleaning that should be more thorough and deeper than the daily cleaning. You can use some liquid and damp cloth to make sure that the surfaces are free from any contaminants.
- What should be used to clean?
For daily cleaning purposes, one should use mild cleaners that are 10% mild dish soap and 90% warm water to clean the upholstery. For metal surfaces and frames you can use a damp cloth daily to keep them sparkling.
Weekly cleaning of the upholstery must be done with standard vinyl upholstery cleaner or lanolin-based hand cleaner. If you want to restore the natural shine of the upholstery then you can spray it with a spray-on wax for furniture and wipe it away after 30 seconds.
- Read through the Manuals- All types of equipment come with a user manual which contains all the important information about the equipment as well as tips for maintaining it. It is best to follow the method mentioned in the manual and not carry out any experiment as it can damage the equipment.
- Lubricate the machines- All the machines with moving parts must be lubricated appropriately. Due to friction and heat, the joints of your cardio equipment like treadmill and others can get damaged thus, lubrication can keep them functioning smoothly.
- Maintain the weight machine- A weighing machine is an important component of your home gym equipment as you will need it to keep a track of your weight. Maintaining it will enable the machine to last longer and function efficiently. Some of the ways in which you can maintain is by doing the following:
- Clean it daily using a wet cloth
- Always place it on a flat surface
- Keep a check on the batteries
- Do not disassemble it. Rather get it fixed by an expert
- Use the machine smoothly to make it last longer
The above tips are a great way to maintain and care for your exercise equipment. Appropriate cleanliness and maintenance ensure that the equipment works smoothly and help you to achieve your fit body goals.