If you are trying to lose the extra weight and get back into shape we know how tedious it can get. At times you can feel motivated to do everything under the sun to get a fit body and other days can make you feel like a loser.
If you are following outdated or misguided advice then weight loss can turn into a never-ending process. Hence, we compiled this guide with all the up-to-date information to help you achieve your goals successfully.
The food that you consume is converted into energy and any excess energy is stored as fat. Thus, if you eat food above your body requirements you will gain weight. Hence, if your goal is to lose weight using the excess fat is the only way forward and to achieve this you can do the following 2 things:
- Reduce the calorie intake
- Increase your activity levels
Thus, weight loss is all about burning more calories than you consume. This can be achieved by reducing the calorie intake as well as losing it through exercising.
The Fundamentals of Weight Loss
If weight loss is your goal then getting the fundamentals right is the key to success. Many theories revolve around weight loss and hence it is natural to get carried away. The following points highlight the fundamentals that you can follow to lose weight the right way.
1. Count your Calories
The amount of calories you consume plays a crucial role if you are trying to lose weight. Though it is no fun to count calories, keeping a record of calories you eat every day will give you a fair idea of how many calories you need to burn to achieve a negative calorie balance.
2. Balanced Diet
To lose weight without negatively impacting your health you need to consume a well- balanced diet. While most of your nutrition should come from plant-based foods like vegetables and grains, you should also consume animal products, fats, and sugar in moderation.
3. Give your Body enough Protein
A protein-rich diet can make you feel full for longer and is also known to cut the effects of muscle loss while dieting. Consuming adequate proteins can aid in weight loss by reducing your appetite and cutting down your calorie consumption.
4. Consume Regular Meals
Eating regularly is as important as eating right. As per expert advice, one should not go beyond 4-5 hours between meals as intense hunger can trigger binge eating and this can send your weight loss for a toss.
5. Have a Realistic Approach
Weight loss goals cannot be achieved in a week or Two. It is wise to set realistic goals and work consistently to achieve them. Setting unrealistic and difficult goals will disappoint you and work against you.
Common Mistakes while trying to Lose Weight:
Fad diets and intense workouts are not the right answer when it comes to losing those extra pounds effectively. Rushing into crash diets and depriving your body of food will only do more harm.
Here are some of the most common mistakes that people make when trying to lose weight.
1. Focusing only on Numbers
The foremost mistake that people make is to only pay attention to the weighing scale. It is a very common scenario that you may follow all the diet rules and the numbers may still not go down.
However, there are several factors like fluid fluctuations, food retention in your system, water retention, etc. that can influence the weight. It is also possible that you may have lost fat and gained muscles and hence, the weight scale remains constant.
2. Skipping Meals
Since calorie reduction is the golden rule behind weight loss, many of us think that skipping a meal altogether will speed up the process. On the contrary, skipping meals can make you eat more at the next meal and also affect the body’s metabolism, blood sugar level, and energy level.
3. Sleep Deprivation
Sleep is one of the most overlooked factors when trying to lose weight. In reality, sleep deprivation has a great impact on hormone levels and can lead to an increase in cortisol hormone that triggers fat storage.
4. Following the same workout
Performing the same workouts every day and not bringing any variation is another big mistake to commit while losing weight. When you do the same exercise every day it conditions your body to stay comfortable and hence, your body won’t work hard to burn the extra calories and build muscles.
How Workout can help to Lose Weight?
Though cardio and strength training are seen as two different forms of exercises, when put together they can help you to achieve astonishing weight loss results.
In a weight loss program, weight training plays a crucial role in maintaining the muscles. When you lose weight it is a combination of fat and muscle. However, you may want to lose fat while retaining the muscles. And this where weight training helps.
1. Working out with kettlebells is the best way to combine cardio and strength for efficient weight loss. They are a versatile piece of equipment that allows you to perform squats, lunges, abs workouts, kettlebell swings, and much more. You can train all kinds of muscle groups with adjustable kettlebells and at the same time improve stability and balance that can help you in performing cardio too.
2. A resistance band set is also wonderful equipment for weight training. Though they are lightweight, a study has indicated that they work your muscles just as well as weights or weight machines. With resistance band Ireland, you can perform exercises like resistance band leg press, hip extension, etc.
- You can also perform a variety of strength workouts with adjustable weight dumbbell like dumbbell shoulder press, dumbbell tricep kickback, etc.
- Cardio exercises help to take your heart rate up and a higher heart rate leads to fat burning. If you are a beginner, you can consider low-intensity cardio workouts like jogging, power walking, swimming, and aerobics. It is recommended to start slow and as your physical abilities build you can increase the intensity by adding weights while jogging, walking, and performing aerobics.
- If you don’t have a lot of time to exercise HIIT is a great way to burn more fat in a shorter time. You can perform exercises like butt kicks, jumping lunges, burpees, jump squats, and many such to complete an intense workout in less time.
Achieving your weight loss goals is entirely possible by making some simple yet effective modifications to your diet and lifestyle. Taking baby steps and bringing positive changes in your lifestyle will help you to achieve a healthy and toned body.
It is also important to remember that when it comes to weight loss there is no one-size-fits-all approach as each individual is different. Thus, when you set out on the weight loss journey keep in mind your abilities and individuality.