What is a Weight Bench?
A weight bench differs from a regular bench in that it is meant specifically for weight training. It might resemble a standard bench from afar, but there are some noticeable differences. First, these benches are equipped with cushions, while regular benches may or not have them. The cushions provide supports for your body when you work out.
Image Source: Power Rack Weight Bench
Weight benches come in different forms. Flat benches are the most common ones you're going to find. But besides that, there are folded position weight benches, fixed horizontal ones, fixed inclined variants, and fold and away fitness benches. You should consult with the retailer to help you select the right one.
Benefits of Weight Benches:People get these benches for their workout purposes because they deliver a set of values. When making the decision of whether or not to purchase a weight bench, you should look at all of the benefits it has to offer.
Some of the benefits of exercising with a weight bench are:
1. Provides Stability:
- The first benefit of weight benches is they offer the stability you'd need when performing specific workouts.
- Without proper stability, you may suffer from muscle imbalances. This, in turn, will lead to injuries and joint pain. When you exercise by focusing more on one side of the body, the other side is relatively neglected.
- As per experts, muscle imbalance is also one of the leading causes of injuries. You may experience mild to severe pain by overusing a particular muscle group.
- It becomes even more important to exercise with a weight bench if you're already injured and are in a recovering phase. You don't want to alleviate the injury by overworking the associated muscle group.
2. Works out Different Muscles Group:Another benefit of having weight benches is that you can work out a wide range of muscles group. As you'll see in this article, later, you can perform multiple workouts. And these exercises target different muscle groups.
Depending on the type of weight bench you've purchased, you can work out the legs, abs, arms, back, shoulder, chest, and thigh muscles.
Please note, this versatility depends on what type of weight bench you select. So speak to a weight benches Ireland store representative to choose the right one for your needs.
3. Helps with Muscle Targeting:The benches intended for the gym not only help you tone various muscle groups but also target each group. With precise targeting, you can increase the effectiveness of the exercises.
For example, you can target your shoulders and arms by performing the "Bear Walk" exercise. Similarly, you can do other types of workouts on a weight bench to target a particular muscle group.
4. Great for Beginners:Weight benches are a must-have piece of equipment for people who're just starting to work out. Since you'd need to exercise in a stable manner, the benches will help you do that. Furthermore, they're equipped with pads and cushions which protect the joints and contact area. Once you gain experience, the benches will still come to your aid as you perform variations and newer workouts.
5. Multipurpose:Last but not least, the weight benches are multipurpose. You can use them for reasons other than exercising. For example, they can be used to sit just like a regular bench. So in the evening, you can place the weight bench on your terrace and enjoy the view as you sip a cup of coffee. Or you can store other gym equipment on top of the bench and save space. With creativity, you can make even greater use of the weight bench.
Workouts You Can Do with Weight Benches:
After you've bought in a weight bench, you might be wondering what workouts you can perform with it. The list can just go on and on, but there some exercises that are popular among fitness freaks.
Here are the four workouts you must do on a weight bench:
1. Bench Press:
Image Source: Google
- This is the most common workouts that you'll see people doing on a weight bench. You lay back on the bench with a barbell and then pump up and down to tone your upper body muscles.
- These perfectly works out various muscles group including the pectorals, shoulders, and arms.
- Besides toning the muscles, bench press also improves strength and endurance.
- You'll find it easier to other upper body workouts at greater intensity.
- To increase the effectiveness, you can perform different types of bench presses like traditional bench press, incline bench press, decline bench press, and narrow grip bench press. However, if you're a beginner, it's recommended to start with a traditional bench press.
2. Single Arrow Arm:Another easy workout that works biceps, lats, traps, and upper back, you can perform Single Arrow Arm on any type of weight bench.
- To start performing this workout, stand at the edge of the and bend forward in 90-degrees from your hip touching bench.
- Hold a dumbbell in one hand, and the other hand should be in contact with the bench.
- Pull the dumbbell up towards the chest and then lower it to its initial position. That's one rep. Perform as many reps as you can.
Image Source: Google
3. Reverse Dumbbell Fly:This workout targets the back muscles, which include the posterior deltoids and middle trapezius. You'll have a toned back if you perform the reverse dumbbell fly regularly.
- To perform this workout, take an adjustable weight bench and set it to a 45-degree angle.
- Lay on the bench on your front and fixate your legs on either side of the bench.
- Raise your arms and push them as far back as possible. Return to the initial position, and this completes one set.
Image Source: Google
4. Skull Crushers:
Want to target triceps? Then perform the Skull Crushers.
- Lay down on the bench with an ez curl bar positioned above your head, outside the bench.
- Now bring it up and down by bending your arms, tucking in your elbow. Weight bench provides the base for this workout.
Image Source: Google
There are many more workouts you can perform on a weight bench. Make sure you're buying the suitable bench that'd allow you to perform that exact workout.
If you're considering buying an adjustable weight bench, search in Google for "adjustable weight bench Ireland" to see the fitness equipment stores available near you if you're living in Ireland. If you're shopping online, always buy from a reputed vendor.